Eindhoven School of Education (ESoE)
Would you like the opportunity to build further on teacher education and professional development in secondary and higher education of STEM? We encourage you to share your passion with us. Eindhoven School of Education (ESoE) has a vacancy for a full professor ‘teacher professionalization in Secondary and Higher STEM education’.
ESoE is the expertise centre of Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) regarding teacher education and professional development in secondary and higher education of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
More specifically, ESoE:
- Offers a Master’s program in Science Education and Communication, in which teachers are educated to become so-called first-degree (“eerstegraads”) teachers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, research and design, and computer science. ESoE also offers an educational module that leads to a second-degree teaching competence mainly offered to bachelor students.
- Conducts scientific research in the area of education and professional development of teachers, in particular with regard to STEM education.
- Supports and promotes educational innovation through professional development, consultancy and applied research, both at the TU/e and at educational institutions / schools in the region.
We are looking for an inspiring full professor who is prepared to take on a (future) leading role at ESoE and who will be co-responsible for the three main areas: teacher education, research and innovation. Someone who can actively generate research funding (e.g. NRO; EU), and loves to cooperate with colleagues in and outside the university of various disciplinary backgrounds. As full professor you will teach in teacher education/professional development, supervise Master and PhD students and guide postdocs with their research projects. Successful academic careers at TU/e combine Education, Research, Valorization and Organization & Management. You are an energetic team player and encourage colleagues to take new initiatives. You understand (or develop quickly a good understanding of) local and national policy and habits.
In your role as professor, you
- conduct and promote educational (design) research of high academic quality;
- contribute to innovations in secondary education (e.g. schools) and tertiary education (e.g. TU/e and international technical universities);
- are actively involved in the qualification of TU/e teachers;
- are actively participating in partnerships regarding the main areas of ESoE and improving the visibility of ESoE both internally and externally;
- fulfill a (co-)leadership role of ESoE.
- PhD degree and STEM background in both secondary and higher education with proven affinity with educational theory/pedagogy, or educational science background with proven affinity with STEM pedagogy both in secondary and higher education.
- Expertise in the field of STEM education for teachers in secondary/higher education.
- Excellent scientific reputation/track record within a field relevant to the job, also evidenced by publications in high-quality scientific journals.
- Experience with supervising PhD research in STEM education and/or subjects relevant to teacher education and educational innovation.
- Experience with managerial tasks and roles.
- Recognition as member of national and international networks relevant to the job.
- Success in acquiring additional funding for research and innovation projects.
- Member of the national research school ICO (Interuniversity Centre for Educational Sciences) or another research school.
Conditions of Employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university embedded in the High-Tech Brainport region.
- You will receive a tailor-made career proposal.
- If you will be appointed as an Irène Curie Fellow, you are entitled to a substantial start-up package to kick-off your career.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program to help getting to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children daycare and sports facilities.
Eindhoven University of Technology is a top-ranking Dutch university that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a number 1 position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow. We understand things by making them and we make things by understanding them. TU/e stimulates innovation in engineering education with the purpose to sustain a more demand-driven education model and support new forms of education, such as challenge-based learning. TU/e Strategy 2030 outlines TU/e’s vision of the university, today and tomorrow and the focus in 2030.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact Prof. dr. Birgit Pepin, b.e.u.pepin[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 7301 or 3095.
For information about terms of employment, please contact HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl.
For any other information, please contact Elly van den Eertwegh, Recruiter, e.a.m.v.d.eertwegh[at]tue.nl or + 31 (0)6 3918 6476.
Are you inspired to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs!
We invite you to submit a complete application, not later than August 28, 2020, by using the ‘apply now’-button on this page. The application should include a:
- One-page cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and other achievements, and the contact information of three references.
Please reserve September 22, 23 and 24, 2020 for interview. If you are selected, we will organize the (electronic) interviews (by Teams) on (one of) these dates.
We are looking forward to your application. TU/e aims to increase diversity among its employees and encourages applications from under-represented groups; in particular, female scholars are encouraged to apply.