UREN PER WEEK: 32 tot 40
FACULTEIT OF DIENST: Faculteit Sociale Wetenschappen
AFDELING: Afd. Educatie
UITERLIJK REAGEREN OP: 31 oktober 2021
The Department of Education and Pedagogy, Division Education, has a vacancy for an Assistant/Associate Professor to teach in one or more of the programmes in which the division is involved, carry out research within the research programme Education and Learning and to perform management duties for the Division Education. The ratio research – teaching activities is 40% – 60%.
The Division Education staff teaches in one or more of the following programmes:
- the Bachelor’s programme in Educational Sciences;
- the Teacher Education programme for Primary Education at Bachelor’s level (Academische Lerarenopleiding Primair Onderwijs), in collaboration with Utrecht University of Applied Sciences;
- the one-year Master’s programme in Educational Sciences;
- the two-year Research Master’s programme in Educational Sciences: Learning in Interaction, in collaboration with the Department of Special Education: Cognitive & Motor Disabilities;
- the Teacher Education programme for Secondary Education at Master’s level, which is carried out by Utrecht University’s Graduate School of Teaching.
The research programme Education and Learning, in which you would participate, is aimed at studying the development of the knowledge, skills, and attitudes individuals need for optimal participation in society, and how education can support this. The research focuses on how informal and formal education contexts from early childhood to adulthood provide powerful environments for learning and development across contexts. The research programme actively participates in several of Utrecht University’s interdisciplinary and cross-faculty research focus areas and in the strategic research theme Dynamics of Youth.
- With regard to education, you will be involved in teaching, course or programme coordination, development, assessment and evaluation, the supervision of students, the acquisition of funds for educational innovation and the valorisation of best practices.
- In research, you will be involved in managing and carrying out research projects, writing research proposals, publish research results, the acquisition of research funds and the valorisation of research results. Furthermore you will be involved in the supervision of PhD students and the coordination of research lines.
- With regard to the organisation, you will take part in or chair working groups, committees or project teams in the department. You will also fulfil committee work and management duties.
Specific tasks may include:
- coordinating and teaching degree courses;
- supervising student and research projects and internships;
- carry out assessments (‘geschiktheidsonderzoeken’) for prospective second career teacher education students;
- serving on committees such as the Educational Committee or the Board of Examiners;
- participating in local, regional and national projects concerning teacher education;
- carrying out and supervising research projects;
- contributing to the acquisition of research funding for the benefit of the research programme;
- contributing to the dissemination of the research results and their applications for the research community as well as the general public.
You will take a leading role in these activities and will be active at programme or division level.
We are looking for someone who:
- holds a PhD degree and has research experience in one of the sciences relevant for education (Educational or Learning Sciences, Educational Technology, Psychology or Pedagogy);
- has a Basic Teaching Qualification from a Dutch or foreign university or is willing to acquire this qualification in the near future (Assistant Professor);
- has a Senior Teaching Qualification or a Senior Research Qualification (Associate Professor);
- fulfils the criteria for admission to the Interuniversity Centre for Educational Sciences (ICO);
- has excellent teaching skills and has experience in one or more of the domains relevant for the division programmes;
- is creative and productive in his or her scientific work, as for instance evidenced by publications in (international) peer reviewed journals;
- is able to contribute to the acquisition of external research funding for the benefit of the research programme. Experience in acquiring personal grants (e.g. Rubicon, Veni) is an advantage;
- is demonstrably effective in supervising students and PhD candidates;
- has an eye for the modernisation of teaching methods, and can apply his/her own research expertise to teaching;
- is committed, collegial, inspiring and approachable;
- is native speaking or proficient in Dutch or willing to learn Dutch within a short period of time and has a good command of the English language.
For the Associate Professor:
- You are demonstrably nationally and internationally recognized as an expert in the research areas instructional design, teaching or life-wide and lifelong learning with a focus on the mental, social or cultural processes within formal, non-formal or informal learning contexts.
- You have demonstrably experience in coordinating courses or programme lines in degree programmes or you have demonstrably experience in coordinating large research projects or research lines in domains relevant for the division.
- You have successfully obtained grants or funds for innovative initiatives in education or research projects and you are demonstrably able to communicate the results of the educational innovations or research projects to a broad audience using different media.
- You have an overview of the societal, political and scientific developments in primary, secondary and higher education and the Educational Sciences and you know (1) how to use these insights in teaching and research and (2) to translate these insights into a clear, feasible vision on education and research in the domain of Educational Sciences.
- You know how to enthuse people for ideas and plans and you make sure that targets are met.
We offer a temporary position (0.8 – 1.0 FTE) for a period of 18 months, which will be made permanent after a positive evaluation. For the Assistant Professor the salary scale will be 11/12 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities), and scale 13 for the Associate Professor. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
Over de organisatie
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University , the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
Utrecht is a young and vibrant city with a large academic population, around 30 minutes south of Amsterdam. It combines a beautiful old city center with a modern university. Utrecht has an excellent quality of life, with plenty of green space and a strong bicycle culture.
The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences is one of the leading faculties in Europe providing research and academic teaching in cultural anthropology, educational sciences, interdisciplinary social science, pedagogical sciences, psychology, and sociology. More than 5,600 students are enrolled in a broad range of undergraduate and graduate programmes. The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences has some 850 faculty and staff members, all providing their individual contribution to the training and education of young talent and to the research into and finding solutions for scientific and societal issues.
For more information please contact Prof. Liesbeth Kester via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation via the ‘apply’ link below.
Interviews will be scheduled to take place in the second half of November.
Uiterlijk reageren op 31 oktober 2021.
SOLLICITEER / Apply